Honor Staff Sergeant Andrew Wolfe and Specialist Sarah Beckstrom

CHARLESTON, WV — Governor Patrick Morrisey issued a formal proclamation requesting that all West Virginians observe a statewide moment of silence or prayer today at 2:15 p.m. to honor Staff Sergeant Andrew Wolfe and Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, the two West Virginia National Guard members who were ambushed while serving in Washington, D.C. Governor Morrisey has ordered flags to be flown at half-staff in recognition of the passing of Specialist Beckstrom last night.

“These two West Virginia heroes were serving our country and protecting our nation’s capital when they were maliciously attacked,” Governor Morrisey said. “Their courage and commitment to duty represent the very best of our state. I am asking every West Virginian to pause at 2:15 p.m. on Friday to pray for their families and their fellow service members.”

Earlier this year, President Donald J. Trump mobilized the District of Columbia National Guard to address rising violent crime in the nation’s capital and directed the Secretary of Defense to coordinate with state governors to supply additional National Guard personnel as needed. In response to that directive, Governor Morrisey mobilized members of the West Virginia National Guard to active service in Washington, D.C.

SSgt Wolfe, 24, of Martinsburg, serves with the 167th Force Support Squadron. SPC Beckstrom, 20, of Summersville, served with the 863rd Military Police Company. Both were conducting security operations near the Farragut West Metro Station on November 26 when they were ambushed and shot shortly after 2:15 p.m.

Swift action by nearby National Guard members and law enforcement officers stopped the attacker and prevented further violence. Both Guardsmen were rushed to the hospital, and SSgt Wolfe remains in very critical condition.

“The people of West Virginia stand united in condemning this cowardly and evil act,” Governor Morrisey said. “We honor SSgt Wolfe for his courage, and we honor SPC Beckstrom for making the ultimate sacrifice in service to her state and nation. We hold their families, their friends, and their fellow Guardsmen in our deepest thoughts and prayers. This moment of silence, and lowering of the flags, is one small way to demonstrate our gratitude, our respect, and our support during this painful and heartbreaking time.”

It is important to remember that in the true spirit of serving in America’s armed forces, both SSgt Wolfe and SPC Beckstrom stepped forward and volunteered for this mission, placing themselves in harm’s way to protect our state and our nation. Their bravery and selflessness reflect the courage, sacrifice, and quiet strength that have defined both West Virginians and those who serve for generations.

You can read the full text of the proclamation here.

Honoring Shelby P. Guazzo

Nov 24th through (to be determined).

The Commissioners of St. Mary’s County have ordered the Maryland State and St. Mary’s County flags to be flown at half-staff in St. Mary’s County, in remembrance of Shelby P. Guazzo, who passed away on November 24, 2025. The State of Maryland and St. Mary’s County flags will remain lowered in St. Mary’s County until sunset on the day of her interment, December 5, 2025, in honor of her service to the people of St. Mary’s County.

Source: https://thebaynet.com/flag-status-alert-maryland-and-st-marys-county-flag-to-be-lowered-at-half-staff/

Honoring Captain Michael Booke

Nov 24th through (to be determined).

On Monday, November 24, 2025, in accordance with the United States Flag Code, Governor Josh Shapiro ordered Commonwealth flags on all Commonwealth facilities, public buildings, and grounds in Northampton County to fly at half-staff immediately in honor of Northampton Fire Department Captain and retired Pennsylvania State Police Trooper Michael Booke, who passed away on Wednesday, November 12, 2025, due to injuries suffered during a training exercise last month. The flags shall remain at half-staff until sunset on Saturday, November 29, 2025. All Pennsylvania residents are invited to participate in this tribute.

Source: https://www.pa.gov/agencies/dgs/flag-notices

State Representative Kevin Ryan

Governor Lamont Directs State Flags To Half-Staff in Honor of State Representative Kevin Ryan

(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Ned Lamont today announced that he is directing the flag of the State of Connecticut lowered to half-staff in honor of State Representative Kevin Ryan (D-Ledyard, Montville, Norwich), who passed away yesterday.

State flags should be lowered effective immediately and remain lowered until sunset on the date of interment, which has not yet been determined. The Office of the Governor will send out a notification indicating when flags should be returned to full staff.

“Kevin Ryan was among the most dedicated and enthusiastic legislators, who was devoted to his district and serving the people of Ledyard, Montville, and Norwich,” Governor Lamont said. “He loved public service and was always ready and willing to listen to the views of the people he represented and take action to support their interests. Throughout my tenure as governor, Kevin has been one of the friendliest legislators that I’ve had the opportunity to work with, and I am going to miss his clever, sharp, and humorous personality. On behalf of the State of Connecticut, I send my deepest condolences to Kevin’s friends, family, and colleagues in the General Assembly.”

“I’ve had the privilege of serving alongside Kevin Ryan since we were both elected to the legislature in 1992,” Lt. Governor Susan Bysiewicz said. “Throughout his time in office, he was an ardent advocate for his district and Eastern Connecticut. Kevin never failed to stand up for the working families of our state, helping to shape Connecticut’s public health and labor laws. And, whether it was by educating our college students in his day job or entertaining my own children when they visited the legislature, Kevin was deeply committed to enriching the lives of our youngest residents. He was not just known in our legislature but to legislators across the country through his work with the National Conference of Legislators. Kevin’s personality was larger than life. His quick wit and keen sense of humor will be deeply missed by myself and so many at the State Capitol.”

In accordance with the governor’s directive, the state flag will be at half-staff on the Connecticut State Capitol building and all other state-operated buildings, grounds, and facilities statewide. Individuals, businesses, schools, municipalities, and any other private entities and government subdivisions are encouraged to lower their flags for this same duration of time.

Retraction Notice

Former Governor Carl Gutierrez

It was previously reported on this post that former Governor Carl Gutierez of Guam had passed away on November 18, 2025. This information was incorrect.

After direct confirmation with the Governor’s family, we can state clearly that he is alive. We sincerely regret the error and any distress it may have caused.

This mistake originated from an automated parsing error of official government sources. We have since updated our procedures to ensure stricter verification before publishing, including additional checks of source material.

We remain committed to accuracy and transparency, and we thank the Governor’s family for bringing this to our attention.

Honoring Victims of Waukesha Christmas Parade Tragedy

Nov 21st through (to be determined).

Gov. Tony Evers today ordered the flags of the United States and the state of Wisconsin to be flown at half-staff on Fri., Nov. 21, 2025, in recognition of the fourth anniversary of the 2021 Waukesha Christmas Parade tragedy and to honor the six individuals who were senselessly and tragically killed in the attack: Tamara Durand, 52; Wilhelm Hospel, 81; Jane Kulich, 52; Leanna Owen, 71; Virginia Sorenson, 79; and Jackson Sparks, 8. “Four years ago, six of our friends, neighbors, and loved ones were senselessly killed in the Waukesha Christmas Parade tragedy, forever changing the lives of folks and families in the community and across our state, and each year since, we’ve come together to honor them, their loved ones who carry on their memory, and all those who were affected by this horrific and tragic act of violence,” said Gov. Executive Order #279 will be in effect from sunrise to sunset on Fri., Nov. 21, 2025.

Source: https://dma.wi.gov/resources/flags/

Honoring Dick Cheney, former Vice President of the United States

Nov 4th through (to be determined).

In accordance with United States Code, Title 4, the United States Flag shall fly at half-staff effective immediately. This is in honor of former Vice President of the United States, Dick Cheney, who passed away yesterday, Monday, November 3, 2025. The United States Flag will remain at half-staff until sunset on the day of interment. As a matter of protocol, the Maryland flag is lowered to half-staff as well. No flag may fly higher than the United States flag.

Source: https://sos.maryland.gov/pages/services/pastflagstatus.aspx